Tuesday, May 26, 2009

15 minutes of fame

Last week, Maddy graduated from preschool with much pomp & circumstance.

Literally.

They played that song while she marched down the center aisle with her classmates in their caps & gowns. It was precious!

Figuratively speaking, she did as well.

They had been rehearsing some songs to sing for the parents and I had heard some of the tunes, but had yet to see the hand motions.

Did I say hand motions? What I meant to say was that I had yet to see the full-body-action-move-and-groove-to-the-music-shakin'-what-your-mama-gave-ya dance theatrics that accompanied the songs. The rest of the class performed the basic hand-motions, but my daughter added that extra oomph and pizzazz that we all know she's capable of.

The video camera was shaking from the laughter of its operator (me) and you can hear the whole crowd giggling at the display. Afterwards, I had people coming up to me asking where she takes dance lessons (she doesn't) and how long she's been dancing like that (it was a first).

Today at the Y, I had a complete stranger come up to me and ask if my daughter was the one dancing at the preschool graduation last week (her daughter was in a different class at the school).

So, I guess it's safe to say that she has had her 15 minutes of fame and it was absolutely delightful!

Also, today at the Y, I left John with my friend Kirsten at the pool while I went to check the other kids out of the nursery to go swimming. When I came back to the pool, John was being filmed by News Channel 5 as he took a swim test, then they wanted to interview ME. AAGH!!! I had just finished a weight lifting class and was sweaty and all "ew gross"....yet they captured me on camera discussing the benefits of the new swim test safety procedures at the YMCA.

I have yet to see it air (we're an hour away from showtime) but I am predicting a heavy southern accent and some mascara smudges underneath my sweaty eyes. I always get a thicker accent when I get nervous....

No comments: