Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I have weird kids

I had this great brainchild of an idea to have a "Job Jar" this summer chock full of activities to give a bored, trouble-making child something to do when they seem to be getting into trouble. We also have an official chore list for each child (not Will...YET!) of things they are responsible for each morning and each evening. It's been really great so far! John has been very compliant and though he says the garbage can smells like skunks when he has to take the trash out, he doesn't complain.

The "Job Jar" is full of those tasks around the house that I don't particularly care for. The whole intent is to try to dissuade unruly behavior, so the jobs in the Job Jar are less than savory. For instance...

*Wipe down bathrooms with Clorox Wipe
*Clean baseboards with a dust rag
*Spot clean the kitchen floor
*Clean out the bugs from between the window and the screen (thank you, Sarah U., for that idea)

HOLD UP. Before you report me to child protective services, I have to tell you that Maddy has actually been CREATING TROUBLE (oh yes, she has) because she thinks these chores are a bundle of fun. Seriously. She will do something naughty only to immediately look up at me and say, "Can I get something to do from the job jar?"

Today, as she was spraying the glass door to the patio with Windex, she finally admitted that she has a problem. She actually verbalized her plot:

"Mommy, do you know why I get in trouble so much lately? It's because I love to get jobs from the Job Jar."

I have weird kids.

2 comments:

Hollye said...

You could add:

Clean Ms. Hollye's windows
Spot clean Ms. Hollye's kitchen floor.

Can she fold laundry yet?

Kennedy has inherited my allergy...I'm allergic to all types of cleaning/housework.

Retta said...

What a great idea! I'm going to do the job jar too, although my kids will be the same. Give them a spray bottle and a rag and you'd think I just gave them a bag of twizzlers. Weird.