Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Make new friends, but keep the old


This past Sunday, I had lunch with a good friend I hadn't seen in well over 5 years. Lisa has known me for probably 15 years or so--I first met her when my older brother brought her home from college when I was still in high school. Well, it didn't work out for them, but it worked out well for me! Lisa was my Bible Study leader and mentor in college and we've done our best to keep up over the last 10 years.

The first question she & her husband Mark asked me was, "So have you started eating salads yet?" (read Item #2 on this link and you'll know where this comes from). I was thrilled to announce to them that I had indeed been a faithful salad eater for about 6 years now.

There's just a comfort that comes from seeing old friends! It was very fun to catch up and laugh and relive the old times (salad, anyone?) but also celebrate the present and all the ways God has grown us up.

The night before, I had a "girl's night out" with my "new" friends (although most of them are now becoming my "old" friends since we've been hanging together for about 8 years now). I decided the time had come to let them in on my secret, hidden, mysterious talent. Lisa & Mark knew about this and I figured it was time to really solidify my relationships with my "new/old" girlfriends as well.

Shall I share it with the blogosphere as well? I'm feeling right confident that this is an appropriate forum, so here goes:

I can do the worm. Yes, as in the break-dance variety.

It only took me one margarita to get the courage to showcase this talent, but I'm fairly sure it was worth it because "the worm" was greeted with open arms and hearts.

The last time I did the worm (in public, anyways) was 10 years ago at my brother Craig's 30th birthday party...In front of his friends, coworkers and colleagues. But I wasn't alone--Keith, my other older brother, and I did a synchronized worm. (Keith's the one I probably owe a sincere debt of gratitude to for learning the worm in the first place-he's the one who taught me the lyrics to Christmas in Hollis, as you may recall. He seems to have a little R&B/hiphop in his soul.)

And of course, there are pictures. But none of them were too "flattering" if you know what I mean, so you'll have to live without.

I feel like we know each other a little better now.

2 comments:

Hollye said...

Okay...if I would have had a drink in my mouth, I would have spit it on the screen. Did you actually do the worm this weekend? Might need something to liven up the HOA meeting in a couple of weeks.....

Ellen said...

Yes, Hollye, I did the worm about 72 hours ago. This was also the evening I discovered that I can still do the splits and a toe touch as well! :o)