Monday, December 19, 2011

Sonic Boy

I love Sonic.  But not the food...just the drinks.  But not all the drinks...just the Large or Route 44 Diet Coke with Vanilla, easy ice. (mediums and smalls don't taste the same--I mean it...for real.)

If I am driving anywhere near the vicinity of a Sonic before 10:00 am (99 cent large drinks!) or between 2-4 pm (Happy Hour! 1/2 price drinks!), my van has a magnetic draw to the drive-in.  Some of my friends say I have a "Sonic Sense"--like Spiderman's Spidey-Sense that tingles.....well, I have a Sonic Sense that lets me know when a Sonic is nearby even if it's in a city I've never been to before.  You should totally road trip with me--gotta see it to believe it!

Anyhow, apparently Sonic Sense is genetically passed down because my 4 year old Will has expressed similar characteristics/traits and I couldn't be more proud. UNTIL....

Recently we were driving on I-65 toward Costco when he was in TEARS over not going to Sonic. (It was after 10am/before 2pm....otherwise known as "Sonic-is-dead-to-me" time.)  His life was in SHAMBLES....all he wanted was a POWERADE SLUSHIE!!!!!  PLEASE!!!!  (insert tears....crying....moaning....you get the idea...)  Well, we happened to be passing the backside of a Sonic on the otherside of the highway. 

After that much emotional wear & tear and in a moment of potentially bad parenting (probably my first such moment of the week...), I said, "Fine!!!  Unbuckle your seat belt. Climb up front. Open the side van door. Jump out of the moving vehicle. Roll down the hill. Climb that highway fence. and JUST. GO. TO. SONIC."

He stopped crying immediately and said, "MOM! don't be ridiculous!!!  I don't even have any money or coupons."

No comments: