Thursday, December 11, 2008

Back to Bethlehem


It's cold and wet here, so I thought I'd share a story to warm your heart today!


The day after Thanksgiving, my family did a "Turkey Trot" at a park in KY. It wasn't an official organized race....just my family (there are about 19 of us) complete with race t-shirts and a half-mile course. It's a great park that gets decked out for the holidays--lights and Christmas displays all around the walking trail.


Before the "race" some of the kids wanted to do a warm up lap. Maddy tried to keep up with the boys, but couldn't and before long, she was lost. (We could still see her across the way, mind you, but she was clearly turned around and didn't know which way to go.)


When I got over to where she was, I could tell she was a little unnerved, but surprisingly not frazzled or upset. I gave her a big hug and asked her how she got lost.


"I was trying to run fast like the boys, but couldn't keep up with them! So, I got lost. But I went to the place where Jejus [Maddy code for Jesus] was born and I bowed down and asked God to please let me find a re-dult [Maddy code for adult] that I knew."


She had gone to the manger scene in the park (pictured above) and asked God for what she needed. Oh to have faith like a child!


My heart leapt within me! My daughter was lost and instead of getting frantic and worried, she went to JESUS! She knows the way.


6 comments:

Nate Craig said...

I am always amazed by what children do and learn. That is a wonderful compliment to you and your husband. You are clearly teaching your kids the most important things in life. Thanks Ellen for sharing that awesome experience.

Retta said...

That is so cute, Ellen. What a sweet little girl.

Anonymous said...

I love that.

Jennie said...

oh, it's been a rough day with little Anna Wells - this made me cry! If only I turned to Jejus so often!

Ellen said...

Jennie: so glad you got a little 'lift' from the story...and I love that you said "Jejus" in your comment. That made me smile! I've heard the words "Jejus" and "Redult" for so many years now that I'm afraid I actually use them in conversation even when my children are not around. It's kind of like how I tell other adults that I need to go "potty" or when I call Michael "Daddy." :o)

Unknown said...

That's Maddy!! I love her so much and I am so proud and blessed that she is my cousie!