Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol Top 10, March 25

Matt Giraud, "Let's Get It On." This is ambitious--tackling a Marvin Gaye CLASSIC. I was glad to see him get out from behind the piano--I was afraid that was becoming a crutch for him. I thought his version was amazing! I liked how he started with just his voice and the piano, but then built up to the band and backup singers...it was great.

Kris Allen, "How Sweet It Is." Not sure why he has numbers on the shoulders of his shirt. I'm not really getting his wardrobe choice tonight. His song is just fine. A little on the cutesy side. Nothing amazing or overwhelming for Kris' performance tonight.

[Total Aside: I am watching this episode on my new & lovely DVR and I fast forward through all the commercials EXCEPT...the Sonic commercials! Those of you who know me know that I do love some Sonic Diet Coke with vanilla about once a day....but apart from that, those commercials make me laugh! The newest one with the mom & son just cracks me up..."I was taking a nap and you woke me up saying, 'mama needs a junior candy sundae.' "]

Scott McIntyre, "You Can't Hurry Love." Nothing amazing in this song for me. Please, please don't get me wrong: he is talented, that is true. He can tickle the ivories and he can carry a tune, but it just isn't "wow-ing" me tonight.

I think the judges are being very generous tonight.

Megan Joy, "For Once In my Life." What happened to her last name? Where's the Corkey? Anyways, her hair, jewelry, dress and performance all add up to make me think "cabaret cruise ship singer." NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. In fact, that's a secret ambition of my own (well, ok, it's not such a secret--most people know that about me). But, cabaret cruise ship singer and American Idol cannot co-exist within the same being.

Anoop Desai, "Ooh Baby Baby." I don't really know what to say about this. I guess I agree with Kara: he did a pretty good job. It was fine, but I was a little bored.

Michael Sarver, "Ain't Too Proud to Beg." He looks too happy and giddy to be begging his woman not to leave. He's just having a good time with this song--he's not connecting with the emotion of the song. I ain't too proud to beg you NOT to vote for. PLEASE, please please....let him go home.

Lil Rounds, "Heatwave." It was alright. I thought she would completely shine here--but I didn't find anything spectacular. I think she's cute as can be, though--great personality!

Adam Lambert, "Tracks of my Tears." This is my FAVORITE Motown song. ELVIS? He looks like Elvis. With a plastic wig. But, I am totally loving the arrangement. It was completely original and amazing. I might be downloading this one from itunes.

Danny Gokey, "Get Ready." Lots of energy and a solid vocal performance, but it seemed a little old fashioned to me. It wasn't very original. I understand that it's a classic song and there's not much to change or tweak....but after hearing Adam's completely original performance before him, Danny needed to bring something more artistic to the table.

Allison Iraheta, "Papa was a Rolling Stone." This girl is too young to be this good! She is so comfortable on the stage and shows such maturity in her stage presence, vocals and the fact that she can stand (much less DANCE) in those heels astounds me.

2 comments:

WordGirl said...

Thanks for the song by song update. I opted for Lost over American Idol last night, so I'm glad to get the recap.

litl'amy said...

I agree with most everything you say! It would really stink to have to follow a great performance...it downplays anything you would do yourself. PS Ava is into everything as well! I can't keep her out, period!