Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol, Top 11

Here we go--another round:

Michael Sarver: "Ain't Goin' Down Til the Sun Comes Up." I didn't think this showed any range at all. The song only had about 3 or 4 notes total through the whole thing and it was hard to understand.....even for me who knew most of the words. On another topic....did you see the harmonica dude holding a microphone and harmonica-izing at the same time? Talent. Pure talent. But, we're not voting for harmonica dude. We're also not voting for Michael Sarver. I think he's performed his last time on this stage.

Allison Iraheta: "Blame It On Your Heart." She can actually pull off a country song! Her voice suits country, which I was surprised to hear. What's ironic is that Patti Loveless also has an unnatural shade of red dye on her hair just like Allison. Coincidence? I think not.

Kris Allen: "To Make You Feel My Love." No guitar tonight? He did well! The falsetto note at the end was a dangerous move, but he did it and it worked. Randy called him "a Tender Dawg" and I agree--it was a great performance. He had really good vocal control through the entire song.

Lil Rounds: "Independence Day." Did you know that magenta is the color of spring this year? It is. Go out and buy yourself some hot pink to wear just like Lil did tonight---she looked lovely! Her song, however.....very flat. Didn't like her performance which surprised me because I was under the impression that she could do no wrong. She'll still be back next week. Hopefully by then, Simon will realize that her name is LIL, not LITTLE, and that LIL can be short for names like "Lily" or "Lillian."

Adam Lambert: "Ring of Fire." I hated this performance. I agreed with Simon--it was terrible.

Scott McIntyre: "Wild Angels." Looks like a stylist got a hold of his hair--THANKFULLY. He had a much better haircut this week. Regarding his performance, it was miles better than last week. I didn't think he deserved to be here last week....but this week was such an improvement that I have decided to let him stay. Especially since he got a decent haircut. Anyways, I liked the stripped-down beginning of the song.

Alexis Grace: "Jolene." It wasn't nearly as "edgy" as her past performances, but I still enjoyed it. I wish she'd done something modern with a little rock to it by Sugarland or Gretchen Wilson.

Danny Gokey: "Jesus Take the Wheel." I didn't like the verse but the chorus was amazing. He seemed so disconnected to the emotion of the song during the verses--it was like he didn't really know what he was singing. But the soul shined through on the chorus. The crowd loved it.

Anoop Desai: "You Were Always On My Mind." Oh boy, I was nervous when he said this was what he was going to sing. He was going for the stripped down, vulnerable Anoop--perhaps trying to be a "Tender Dawg" like Kris Allen. I actually had CHILLS listening to him sing this. It was fabulous. Simon said he went from "zero to hero"--his favorite performance of the night. I think I agree. (Sorry Danny, sorry Kris--I'm still a fan, but Anoop won me over...just for tonight.)

Megan Joy Corkey: "Walkin' After Midnight." The first thing I'll say is that she needs more supportive undergarments. OK, moving on, her makeup looks great. ONTO THE MUSIC....which I know is what we're really judging here...I didn't think she really made it her own--it still sounded like Patsy Cline's version to me. I mean, there was a little bluesy-ness to it, but it still sounded like Patsy to me. So apparently, she's been in the hospital with the flu, and I think the judges are giving her extra good marks because they're judging her not just as "MEGAN" but as "MEGAN WITH THE FLU." Anyways, I thought it was fine. Not super memorable, but it was fine.

Matt Giraud: "So Small." Big night for Carrie Underwood with 2 of her songs being performed tonight. What a great tribute to her since this is where she got her start. I think this was a pretty solid performance--except the very last note was flat. Very vulnerable, solid performance by a talented guy.

5 comments:

Retta said...

Oh Ellen, thank you for the prompt recap because my DVR STOPPED. RECORDING. My only consolation was that you would give me the recap. Thanks, girl. And I'm glad Scott got a haircut. I wish Megan would get a tatoo removal.

Hollye said...

I loved Anoop's performace too. I think he was smart to strip it down the way he did. As for Adam. I am not sure what to think. The guy can sing, but didn't he look a litte "crazy eyed" throughout parts of the song?

Heather Morozov said...

Ellen, I couldn't wait to read your commentary here. I HATED Ring of Fire by what's his name. Oh, it just made me cringe as I think Johnny would had he been alive. Totally agreed with Simon about his overindulgence on that one. Thanks for your insightful commentary :).

Heather Morozov

Sherri said...

Hi! Came over from BooMama's, and I'm glad I did! Great recap, because I completely agree with you!

Sturgmom said...

I can't figure out why Simon doesn't realize that Lil could be Lily or Lillian, like you mentioned, and not li'l like Li'l Abner.