Friday, June 19, 2009

A Letter to our Vacation Neighbor:

Dear Vacation Neighbor:

It's been a good week. Really, it has. We've smiled as we pass by in the street on the way to and from the beach. We've splashed together at the pool. It's been great. Truly.

But last night, you put a bit of a damper on my friendly vacation spirit.

I fail to see why you needed to stay up until 3:30 a.m. talking outside with your front porch light on.

I know, I know--it sounds like I'm in your business and need to mind my own. But, I'm not. You see, you were in my business. Your late night/early morning talking and carousing and light-blaring activity took place just a few feet away from my bedroom doors and window. And, as you probably already know, these houses have those fancy windows above the doors that are in fancy shapes that don't allow for blinds or a window covering to mask the bright early morning sunlight or YOUR PORCH LIGHT from blaring in as I tried to sleep. (notice I said "tried" to sleep...)

So, really. I know we only have one night left, but I feel like I aged 10 years last night because of the lack of sleep allowed by your antics. I really can't afford to let this happen again tonight.

And you, my friend, really can't afford to stay up that late either. You may forget that my kids like to wake up around 6:30 and immediately head outdoors in that little strip of grass between your house and mine for rousing game of baseball or frisbee toss.

Please oblige so we'll all be a little happier, a little more rested and a little more pro-vacation when we return home from our vacation.

Sincerely,
Your neighbor in the blue house

1 comment:

Jennie said...

as always, a good laugh from your blog, Ellen.