Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wasted travels

My friend Amy just celebrated a milestone birthday last week (she's 29 again).  Anyways, her husband went all out and had a week-long celebration for her--it all started with a getaway for the two of them to Chattanooga (no kids!).  When one of my kids heard that they were going away, he asked what they would do there.  I said, "oh, they'll sleep in, go on walks, shop, eat out, maybe see some art, you know, stuff like that."  He replied:  "They're not going to the Aquarium?  Not visiting Ruby Falls?!?  That sounds like a wasted trip to Chattanooga to me!"  He was outraged by their lack of fun planned for the weekend.

Personally....I've been to that aquarium a few too many times and while it is indeed wonderful and amazing, if I ever go back again, it'll be too soon.  But of course, I am sure we'll be back because Will's never been and if you live this close, you must take your kids at least once.  I think I'll let him experience Ruby Falls on a class field trip, though...

The funny thing about all that is that we feel so strapped down by having a toddler right now and think that there's so much we cannot do with the big kids because of Will.  That theory got smashed the other day when I was flipping through some old photo albums and saw pictures of one such trip to Chattanooga when we did the Aquarium and Children's Museum.  Guess how old Madeline was?  20 months.  Guess how old Will is right now?  20 months.  Hmmmm.....  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

BIG difference in personalities, for certain!