Friday, January 9, 2009

American Idol: Top 12 Songs that should never be sung again

I was reading Boomama's blog (she's great, by the way) and she is really into American Idol as well. She posted a link to Entertainment Weekly's List of the "12 Songs that should be banned from American Idol Forever". Before taking a click, I tried to brainstorm what I thought that list would be and came up a few, but one was CLEARLY lacking:



Bonnie Raitt's "I can't make you love me."



Do they love that song on there or what? Seriously! Every season, particularly in the auditions, that song is absolutely worn out. Dawg.


I hold a special affinity for that song since Michael's old secretary also serenaded the entire office & their significant others at the Christmas Party in Atlanta a few years ago. She brought a TRACK, y'all. Really! She brought a track tape and gave it to the DJ and got all serious on us, grabbed a microphone and suddenly....'turn down the lights....' is stuck in my head for all time.


No, I wasn't jealous. Just because I am the karaoke queen [albeit self-proclaimed] and know my way around a mic stand in front of a crowd doesn't mean I envied the guts & gumption the secretary took that night..........


Anyways, other songs on the Top 12-never-to-be-repeated-again list:

1. Alone, by Heart

2. Anything by Stevie Wonder

3. Against All Odds, by Phil Collins

4. Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, The Four Tops

5. I Have Nothing, Whitney Houston

6. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, Elton John

7. Son of a Preacher Man, Dusty Springfield

8. I Believe, Fantasia

9. I Believe to my Soul, Ray Charles

10. It's Raining Men, Weather Girls

11. Rhythm is Gonna Get You, Gloria Estefan

12. My Girl, the Temptations [total aside: did I ever tell you about the time I saw them perform LIVE in Moscow, Russia on the 4th of July? No? Well, I did and it rocked.]

1 comment:

Retta said...

Oh my...the secretary. That sounds like it's straight off an episode of The Office (only it would be Michael singing...not Pam).