Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Day Sleep-in: Name your price

We had a great New Year's Eve/Day. Vanderbilt won the Music City Bowl and my firstborn son spent a little time on the Jumbo-tron, so I'm told. Lots of excitement there.

I spent the afternoon "watching a movie" (also known as "mommy scores a nap") with Maddy while Will slept, then headed off to some dear friends' house for dinner before meeting Michael and John back at our house with some Vandy friends for the evening. We celebrated New Year's Eve with the Eastern Time Zone (we're actually CST) and headed to bed at that point.

Well, January 1 dawned too soon in my tightly closed eyes and the kids, well, they were a callin' before 7:00 am and I could hardly move. When Will kept on calling and crying out for crib rescue, I continued to remain motionless hoping and praying that my husband would seek to love me as Christ loved the church and get up to deal with the kids while I got some more shut eye. I mean, that's what Jesus would do, right? He'd let me sleep in, I'm sure of it.

When Michael began playing an equally good game of *Parent Possum, I resorted to monetary bribery.

"I'll give you a dollar to let me sleep in."
No movement from his side of the bed.
"$1.25"
Still nothing.
"FINE. $1.50"

And, I'm proud to announce that Michael can be bought for 6 quarters. I haven't received a bill yet, but I'm sure it's coming. Either that or a barter for him to get an extra hour tomorrow morning.

*Parent Possum: when you play dead to get out of kid duty in the middle of the night or early morning hours

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's what Everett has been doing for 9 years...(kidding, really)

Raegan said...

I love it! We play parent possum too, I just didn't know it was called anything other than passive aggressive!! :)