Saturday, September 19, 2009

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

A few years ago my brother Keith and his wife Holly came to Nashville to babysit our kids while we went to Atlanta for Michael's office Christmas party. I bought them a subscription to "Runners World" as part of their thank you gift (I think we also got them a gift card to a restaurant or something like that).



Since I am a bit of a cheapskate at times, I googled "discount magazine subscriptions" and found 1 year of RW for $5.00. Great deal, right?!? I mean, I bet you have probably already left this page in search of more discount magazine subscriptions.



CAVEAT: here's what I just discovered when I logged into my old google account a moment ago:

______________________________________
Date

Dec 13, 2006



Shipping Status

Not yet shipped



Qty

1 Runner's World - (Terms:One Year - 12 Issues,Subscription)



Price: $4.99
______________________________________



Really?!? Not yet shipped? It's been 3 years. What the heck?



I vaguely remember asking Keith if he ever received it and he would mumble something to the effect of "I'm not really sure....what was on the cover of the last issue.....I think we did, but I'm pretty sure we didn't......"



I'd like to now extend my utmost apologies to a dear brother....seriously--I owe you a subscription to RW!



The old adage rings true once again--if it sounds too good to be true....well, you know....

1 comment:

Hollye said...

I had something similar happen to me a couple of years ago. I ordered and paid for like 8 different magazines...a number of them for gifts. Never got them. I paid through paypal, but since you are suppose to wait 6-8 weeks for magazines to ship, that was way past paypal's refund policy. I got an email from that company giving me some story about lost subscriptions. Never got them though.