Monday, September 7, 2009

A trip to KY for birthday fun

Well, it's September, and if you know me at all, you know that with the turning of August's calendar page, we enter into a month-long fest of cake, presents and cake. Did I mention that we eat a lot of cake during September? Because we do. Eat a lot of cake, that is.

This weekend we went to KY for a joint-celebration of my brother (David) and my sister-in-law's (Holly) birthdays. They both turn 30 in a few weeks, so mom put together a celebration like none other to ring in a new decade for these two.

Holly had been inspired by the viral youtube video of the wedding entrance dance a couple weeks ago and decided to put together a little birthday dance routine of her own. She & her friend Jennifer spliced together about 10 songs from the '90s and storyboarded out some choreography (it looked like a football playbook, so I hear). Last minute, I was recruited to participate....which was so difficult for me because I am REALLY shy. (I kid, oh, how I kid!) But, you know how it goes...anything for the birthday girl, right?

The best laid plans, however well planned they may be, sometimes go awry, though, you know? Guy Dancer #1 came down with the flu; Guy Dancer #2 was in a car wreck the night before and showed up late to the party so he couldn't "rehearse" with us; and of course I was a somewhat last minute addition, so I learned my steps in the parking lot behind the dumpsters about 10 minutes before we were "on."

Nonetheless, we pulled out all the stops as we MC Hammered, Vanilla Iced, Michael Jackson'd (R.I.P.), Cotton-Eyed Joed, and N'Sync'd our way through some stellar dance moves.

And heaven help me if the video footage of this little ditty ever shows up on youtube...

So we are now 2 birthdays down, and about 4 to go!

I turn 29 again on Sunday, followed by my mother-in-law, then Michael's and finally Will's 2nd birthday round us off for the month.

1 comment:

Aimee Guest said...

Hey Ellen
Thanks visiting over at my blog! I didn't realize you had one and I have been wandering around it learning about your talents(the worm) and that we are the same age(29 again) and tips on kid rearing(Jael will NOT like the job jar!)...so good to hear from you, come back again soon...
aimee