Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bachelor for Life?



The other day on the way to church, John said he was planning to come into "big church" for worship and then he'd see what the sermon was about before he decided whether to go to Sunday School or to stay.
Basically, his one and only condition for leaving was if it was about marriage.

"If he starts talking about marriage, I'm leaving."

WHICH reminds me of this great conversation John & I had one day not long ago. It involved marriage and Fred & Wilma Flintstone.

I watched the Flintstones every afternoon in the summer growing up. I would go to the pool, come home, get a nice unhealthy snack and sit on my pool towel (still in my wet bathingsuit) and watch The Flintstones at 2:35 pm. (Remember when TBS did their viewing schedules on the :05 and the :35?)

So, I was quite happy when I saw that Comcast On Demand had some episodes of the Flintstones. It was a childhood memory I couldn't wait to share with my own kiddos.

I never before realized what a terrible marriage Fred & Wilma had! There is so much lying and deception going on between them. He treats her as his slave and there's lots of yelling when he doesn't get his way. I have to say if this cartoon were made in 2009, I would not dare let my kids watch it.
But of course, it was made way back when and I continued to watch an episode now & then with the kids thinking they were as oblivious as I once was about the lack of harmony between the stoneage couple.
The other day John looked at me and said, "They don't seem to like each other very much, do they? It's like they aren't happy to be married to each other."

So perceptive for an 8 year old boy. Every once in a while, he'll surprise me with some astute, mature observation and I am shocked to realize how fast he's growing up!

No comments: