Thursday, April 16, 2009

Drugs and Rock -n- Roll

I got a new Taylor Swift CD the other day and love some of the songs--the kids were loving them too and singing along, but then I realized that a few of the songs were a little "old" for them...so I put a few songs on their MP3 players, but left some just for mommy to listen to. Michael was in on this decision and was the object of John's negative emotions when I wouldn't let him listen to one particular song. (Lots of negative emotion....)

Fast forward to last night: Michael took the kids to McDonalds for dinner while I got my haircut. On the way home, he's scanning stations on the radio and comes across "Paradise City" by Guns n Roses. He cranks it up and starts jamming out and then realizes the irony that we wouldn't let our kids listen to some teeny bop romance songs, but here he was teaching them to long for the place where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. (sounds like heaven, no?) So, he lets them all finish the song and they are rocking along and loving the chorus, then he does a little backpedaling about why that's probably not a good band for the family to get into.

Here's the conversation that ensued:

JOHN: "Dad, would you ever want to go to ao Guns n Roses concert?"
MICHAEL: "No, It would be really loud and there are probably a lot of drugs there."
JOHN: "People take steroids at concerts?" [He watches a lot of ESPN. A-Rod, anyone?]
MICHAEL: [Trying not to laugh] "No, they're not doing steroids."
JOHN: "Oh, then, do you mean people take medicine when they're not supposed to?"
MICHAEL: "Well, sort of......"
JOHN: [cuts him off before he could explain] "because I've done that before."
MICHAEL: [a little concerned at this point] "What sort of medicine have you taken when you didn't need it?"
JOHN: "Well, sometimes at night, I'll make myself cough a lot so I can get an extra cough drop."

So, as your friend who has the finger on the pulse of pop culture....I'm warning you--if you go to a rock concert, please act cool if someone offers you a Hall's or a Sucrets.

No comments: