Friday, November 11, 2011

A House Divided: the Cats vs. the Commodores

This weekend is big.  HUGE.  Massive.  It's positively monumental for our household.  It is the weekend when the powerhouse football team from the University of Kentucky (my alma mater!) comes to Nashville to challenge another powerhouse in college football:  the Vanderbilt Commodores (Michael's alma mater!). 

Now, let's just stop for a minute.  If you know even the slightest bit about college football, you'll quickly realize what a ridiculous string of sentences that first paragraph holds.  Neither team has EVER been described as a powerhouse when it comes to football (not in my lifetime, anyways).  However, we are going to act like it's a big deal...complete with a tailgate attended by my fellow favorite UK grads (my ENTIRE family...no really--my entire family) and a few local friends. 

Let me be absolutely clear about something:  there are only about two reasons that I've ever gone to a football game.  One is to impress a guy.  Well, guess what:  I already got the guy.  I'm married now so that excuse ended when I got married 3 weeks after college graduation 13 years ago.  The other reason is to TAILGATE.  If you provide the food, I will go.

So, that's what we will do!  Tomorrow morning, a caravan of huge UK fans (about 11 of my family members) will make their way down I-65 to join us in a little pre-game munchfest followed by a quick scurry around Vanderbilt's campus to buy tickets from a scalper.  We'll go into the game where I will most likely be reading a magazine or a cookbook and chasing Will around the bleachers.  There may or may not be some first downs, touch downs, flags on the play, field goals, facemasking, penalties, and quarterback sacking....but I'll never know.

I'm just here for the party.

No comments: