Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Rhythm is Gonna Get You

I was just reading a blog post by Boomama as she was traveling through the Miami airport when she expressed how surprised she was that she hadn't run into Gloria Estefan yet. It reminded me of a little situation I handled a few years back with a healthy dose of Gloria.

I had been receiving quite a few prank calls from the same phone number. Sometimes they would just sit there silently; sometimes they would ask for someone. Other times, they'd just laugh. This happened a couple times a day for a few weeks and I was just fed up with it all.  Most of the time I ignored the calls....but after they would call back about 10 times in an hour, I would answer in a moment of weakness and demand that they stop calling.

TO. NO. AVAIL.

SO....something just came over me one day--I picked up the phone and just sang.  At the top of my lungs.  What did I sing?  You guessed it:  "Rhythm is gonna get you." 

"OH EH OH EH....... OH EH OH AAH....."

I sang it--loud.  Proud.  With an little Spanish-y flair, even.

That ended the prank calls that day.....but the next day they called back and I said:

"1-2-3-4 Come on baby say you love me....5-6-7 times...."

Apparently, that song does not have the power to stop a prank caller, so they called back. I pulled out an old trick:

"OH EH OH EH....OH EH OH AAH...."

And that was it....for that day. 

Third time's a charm, I suppose because on Day 3 of my Gloria Estefan Prank Caller Awareness Program (GEPCAP), they called.  I answered.  "OH EH OH EH! Rhythm is gonna get you....."  And they hung up and never called me again.

Some people suggest blocking a phone number to get a prank caller to cease. 

I suggest warming up your vocal chords, picking an artist (feel free to use Gloria's songbook) and serenading your caller.

"I don't want to lose you now.........."

No comments: