Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Christmas Kick-Off

I've put it off as long as I possibly could. I did wait until after Halloween this year and though my aim is always to wait until after Thanksgiving, I consider it a success that I waited until today, November 11, to turn on the Christmas music.

I buy a new CD each year. Last year was a total bomb. Jars of Clay's Christmas CD stunk. So, I was a little nervous about making my selection--I didn't want to have 2 years in a row of new bad music and resort to listening to Bing over & over & over again. (***Not a thing wrong with Bing, but really, when you have your heart set on something new....well, even Bing gets a little old).

SO....I am pleased to announce.....that I made a GREAT selection this year!

I went to Borders with a 40% off CD coupon and purchased Kristin Chenoweth's new Christmas album A Lovely Way to Spend Christmas. I love her voice and she's cute as a button, so I was already leaning toward that over Tony Bennett's new album...but when I saw track #8 listed on the back along with track #12....well, I was headed to the check-out register straightaway.

#8: She covers Evie's classic "Come on Ring Those Bells." YES! Come on Ring those Bells! Light the Christmas Tree! Jesus we remember it's your birthday! Yes, that's the one. I love that song--grew up listening to that, along with "Merry Christmas Darling" a la Karen Carpenter. Kristin Chenoweth does this song with a country-western feel which I didn't love at first, but now I'm cool with it.

#12: Sleep Well Little Children/What a Wonderful World. I am a sucker for anything "What a Wonderful World." Love that song. Doesn't matter who is singing it, it just conjures up a very grateful heart.

So....with that, it's all begun. And I love it! I love Christmas.

What's your favorite Christmas album (new or old)? Maybe this year I'll buy TWO new ones...

5 comments:

jinosh velikkakathu said...

May Infant Jesus bless you

Raegan said...

My favorite is the Muppet Christmas Album. It's lighthearted and fun! I grew up listening to the record as we decorated our tree each year, and now have it for my kids (on CD of course!). You should check it out!

Hollye said...

I too buy a new Christmas CD every year. Last year I bought Josh Groban. Loved it. This year I bought Faith Hill. It's more big band than country and I actually really like it.

Anonymous said...

I've seen Evie sing it live in concert. Did you know she's 4 ft 11 and going to heaven?

Anonymous said...

i buy a new Christmas album each year too, and last year i SCORED with james taylor's christmas album! it suckered me in at target one day--total impulse buy--but i had to have it b/c it has "some children see him" which is also from evie's "come on ring those bells"!!! that was my FAVORITE christmas album as a child, too! so, you must go out and get james. he also does "baby, it's cold outside" which is fun for totally different reasons.