Monday, August 11, 2008

First Day of School

1st day of 2nd grade


1983 (my first day of 2nd grade)

Please, someone, remind me in May when I grumble about making school lunches how VERY excited I was to make John's lunch today! After a long, hot, busy, and sibling rivalry-filled summer, it was back to school today. I was more than a little excited. School is good. Very good. Don't get me wrong--I LOVE my children and I LOVE spending time with them. However, the time spent together goes so well when we've had a little time apart. Anyone agree? No?

In all seriousness, my heart was delighted when he got off the bus this afternoon and declared..."School was awesome!!! Mrs. XXXX is the perfect teacher for me!" He was thrilled with his first day of school. What an answer to prayer! I am so grateful for his excitement about school.

In honor of a 35+ year old tradition my parents established, I took his photo this morning on the front porch. My mom has a photo album for each child in my family with a picture of them in the same spot on the front porch on every first day of school. Without permission, I have published one of those pictures above. (After they see this, I'm sure I'll be banned from future family holiday gatherings, but I'm more than a little sentimental today and this photo just fits. Forgiven? If not, you can publish an old school picture of me on your own blogs.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, let me say how glad I am that I wasn't old enough to be in this picture.

Secondly, why is Craig not wearing his Catholic school clothes? My theory is that he wanted to look "cool" for this picture and then he went back inside and changed for school.

The Kelty's said...

Ellen

So great to hear from you! I am glad to know you are also a blogger! Dave emailed me some of your great family pics from Seaside a couple weeks ago and I was marveling at your family and how beautiful you all are! Seriously- I have never seen a more beautiful family photo- both your family of 5 and your family of...wow...50???

Your children are precious- I will definitely be checking your blog regularly!
Kate