Sunday, September 21, 2008

Out-crafted

Somebody very dear to my family had a "milestone" birthday last week. My mother-in-law turned a certain age that I will not mention...but I will give you a few hints. It does NOT rhyme with "nifty" and it does NOT rhyme with "eleventy".

The kids did a little photo album project called (here's another hint) "Sixty Things we love about Mimi". It was full of pictures, but also, they came up with (hint) 60 things they love about her. Some were sweet & serious ("She cares for her friends and family") and some were hilarious ("She lets us pick any restaurant but Chuck E Cheese" and "I like her flip flops"). It turned out very cute!


However, Sunday, she went to see my crafty cousin-in-laws Kim & Catherine. You see, Kim is one of those Martha Stewart types. She has a sewing machine and she knows how to use it. She can cook. She can garden. A true Kim-of-all-trades.


So, look what Crafty Kim and her crafty sidekick-in-the-kitchen Catherine did for Vicki's birthday dessert:




They are little owl cupcakes that are saying (here's another age hint), "Look Whoooo's Turning 60!" (OK, OK, I'll tell you how she made them: chocolate cupcakes, chocolate or white frosting, topless oreos for the eyes, a junior mint for the pupil, a banana runt for the nose, 1/2 oreo for each ear with frosting piped over them.)




And, here is our dear Mimi with the recycled birthday cake we ate with her (aren't we so eco-friendly & green?). My birthday was the day before we celebrated hers and we had lots of cake leftover. AT HER REQUEST (please don't think we're that cheap!) after we left Red Robin where she was serenaded by the kitchen staff with a birthday tribute, she said she just wanted to come back here and eat the rest of the cake from the night before.


Look WHOOOOO's been outcrafted and outcooked by Kim & Catherine...ME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable cupcakes!! Did I click on Family Circle's website by mistake? Have you seen pics of my infamous ladybug cupcakes from M.'s 2nd birthday? Back when I obsessed over my kids' parties? Those cupcakes were the pinnacle of my party-giving days......