Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ummm, I said it first!

A few years back, I came up with this awesome game to play on road trips or late at night on retreats. Whoever was lucky enough to room or ride with me got the privilege of playing "The Umm Game." I would give you a topic on which you were to give a compelling speech. The topic might be tube tops or it might be the book of Revelation. You could be called upon to speak of the virtues of the United States Postal Service or about Honeymoons. Your first kiss might be of interest or perhaps we want to hear about your first job.

Whatever the topic, it was sure to be interesting because you had to give your speech with nary a stutter, "umm" or a stall.

This summer, we went to Atlanta with 5 other couples and I was in charge (self appointed, of course) of the Forced Fun aspect of the road trip. You betcha "The Umm Game" made the rounds.

All of this is backup to the real reason for this post. Imagine my surprise when I was listening to the radio this morning and the two co-hosts asked callers to phone in & play "Don't say UMM!" This game is very suspiciously similar to "The Umm Game." The only difference is that they bribe you to play by saying you'll win a CD or something like that.

Umm, I need to speak to my attorney about this...

No comments: