Wednesday, October 29, 2008

And next time, I'll be going alone

There's this relatively new concept in dentistry in our neck of the woods. It's a place called "Dental Bliss". You can get a pedicure while you get your teeth cleaned. You get aromatherapy. There is live piano music playing in the lobby.

That is not where I went today, just so you know.

I just returned from the dentist where I had the complete opposite experience.

I took my oldest two children (7 and 4) to the dentist where we all got our bi-annual teeth cleaning.

John & Maddy went first and had their teeth cleaned simultaneously (by two different hygienists). So, then, it's my turn. They're tired from having been at school all day. They're hungry and haven't had a snack yet. And they've already been at the dentist for 45 minutes getting their own cleaning done. Needless to say, before I even sat down in the chair, they were D-O-N-E.

So, we're all crammed into the tiny hygienist room...which is a small room made smaller by all the equipment and chair in there as well. At one point, Maddy steps on the controls and makes my chair start moving up and down. Somebody is playing with my feet. They got bouncy balls out of the treasure chest after their cleanings, and those things are pinging off all the walls and windows. TV's on and there's some Elvira look-a-like doing a Halloween food special on Food Network with her dress cut down to "there" and I'm trying to divert their attention from that. There's only one extra chair that they're both fighting over. Somebody is unraveling dental floss.

And what can I do about it? Other than snap my fingers and make grunting noises, NOTHING. Somebody's hands are in my mouth and I am laying down flat on my back, so I can't even see what's going on, much less verbally correct the behavior.

And, did I mention that they're HHHHUUUUNNNNGGGGRRRRRYYYYY?????

Needless to say, when it came time to make our appointments in 6 months for the next cleaning, I decided to schedule mine for a different day. Perhaps I'll even go to that fancy Dental Bliss and sip a martini by the piano after my appointment is over. Sounds quite nice, actually.

3 comments:

Hollye said...

I use to go to Dental Bliss. They accepted my insurance, but not the rates, so I had to pay the difference. HIGH DOLLAR. And I never got a pedicure while I got my teeth cleaned. I did get an hand massage, but that was it. It was a great place, but I just couldn't justify the cost.

Raegan said...

Kids...gotta love 'em!

jthomson79 said...

Dental Bliss will steal your money. I'm still bitter towards them. And... I had to have all SEVEN of the teeth I had filled there re-filled by a different dentist. For the record, I do brush my teeth... once a week...