Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It only takes a spark...

I can run, but I can't hide. Well, actually, maybe if I did run, I could hide. Read on to see what I mean:

My old, old, old, old, OLD friend "7 pounds" has found me once again. We go way back. WAY WAY WAY back. Before "Body by Baby", I managed to stay relatively fit. Then, this thing called "Approaching Middle Age" kicks in, along with the "Metabolism Brakes" gift set that you get for your 30th birthday.


So, in order to make sure my other old friend "10 pounds" doesn't find me as well, I am going to be hiding on this great new (to me) website called "Spark People." Oh, and I'll also start hanging with my good pal Lynn, the dietician, once again. [She's with this great program at the Y called "Action with Balance." It's a 12 week program in which you get on track with your eating/exercising and meet with a dietician once a week. Generally speaking, I believe after 12 weeks you're supposed to move on with your life and continue with these great new habits you've formed.]


Wouldn't you know, I am now signed up for my FIFTH (yes, that's 5) session of Action with Balance. I am apparently a slow learner on attaining that balancing action. My first round was about 3 or 4 years ago, so I do like to space them out a bit...


Back to Spark People: It's a VERY fun website. Track your foods, exercise, chat with other "losers." I am still investigating the different features, but one I'm especially excited about is this trophy they give you when you've earned 100 points. (You earn points by drinking 8 cups of water a day, making recipes from their website, logging your food, etc). No, it's not a real trophy...just some clip art/icon you get on your Spark People log in page. Doesn't sound motivating? Oh, just sign up and you'll see how addicted you get to earning points all to see this little trophy thing show up!

Anybody want to join in my quest to say goodbye to "7 pounds"?


Oh and one last thing...No snarky comments if you see me indulging in something that's not found in the lower half of the food pyramid... Deal? Deal.

4 comments:

Hollye said...

I want some more information on the class at the Y that you are taking. I still need to lose about 50 more pounds. I need some motivation! I love food too much

allie said...

thank you for introducing this site to me! looks like fun!!! since i've evidently given up my stay at home mom job for a career sitting at the computer, i've decided to add this to my resume! that and because sweet ben gave me the gift of...let's just say more than seven, ok?

jthomson79 said...

Oh, this looks cool! What's your username? I'll put you as my referrer.

Ellen said...

username is emliving

Hope you like it! It's been great for me--their food log database is HUGE. They have most restaurant's foods entered as well as most of my pantry staples. If there's something that you can't find on there, you can enter the nutritional data yourself.

Good luck!